Physiotherapy is a course in the medical field in Nigeria. Though the course is not as popular as other courses in the medical field like Medicine, Nursing, or even pharmacy; the course is still very profitable in Nigeria. We have detailed the Salary Of Physiotherapists in Nigeria following our previous post on Radiographers’ Salaries in Nigeria.
Physiotherapy is a very vital aspect of medical care that should not be underlooked. You might even be making use of the services of a physiotherapist without knowing. Under this post, you will know more about physiotherapy in Nigeria, Physiotherapists Salary in Nigeria, how to become a Physiotherapist in Nigeria, and the requirements to become numbered among high profile physiotherapists in Nigeria.
What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy or physical therapy refers to the treatment of illnesses, disorders, palsies, and malignancies by making use of physical medical procedures like exercise and massage, over surgical methods.
Physiotherapy is a medical profession that aids in restoring health, maintaining and maximizing strength, movement, function, and overall wellness.
Physiotherapy is used interchangeably with physical therapy to include rehabilitation, promotion of health and fitness, and prevention of injury.
Who Is A Physiotherapist?
A physiotherapist is a professional in the health care services that help patients achieve their optimal locomotive abilities, either as an initial development or restoring it after an injury or loss of function. Physiotherapists in Nigeria are alternately known as physical therapists.
Types Of Physiotherapists In Nigeria
As a physiotherapist, you would not be a jack of all trades. You will have to focus on one aspect of physiotherapy. This section outlined the different types of Physiotherapists in Nigeria and the physiotherapy courses you can thrive in.
These are the kind of Physiotherapists in Nigeria that is otherwise known as orthopedic Physiotherapists. This is because they specialize in orthopedic Physiotherapy.
These physiotherapists treat backaches, sprains, strains, continence, rheumatism, arthritis, bursitis, posture, locomotive, and work malformations or injuries.
Patients are normally enrolled for this aspect of physiotherapy after undergoing surgery as one of their rehabilitative measures.
Patients who are mentally retarded undergo neurological Physiotherapy. This is because the functionality of their nervous system is impaired.
Anyone suffering from stroke, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, acquired brain damages, addictions, amongst others are usually referred to neurological Physiotherapists in Nigeria for medical attention.
Neurological Physiotherapy is also a post-medical procedure for brain surgeries.
This is an aspect of physiotherapy that corrects anomalies in the cardiovascular system like asthma, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary emphysema, etc.
Salary Of Physiotherapists In Nigeria
How much are physiotherapists paid in Nigeria?
Below is the average monthly salary of a Nigerian physiotherapist
The average monthly salary of Physiotherapists in Nigeria is ₦130,000
Entry-level (with 0 – 2 years of experience) Physiotherapists in Nigeria earn between ₦80,000 – ₦120,000 monthly
Mid-level (with 2 – 5 years of experience) Physiotherapists in Nigeria earn between ₦100,000 – ₦200,000 monthly
Experienced Physiotherapists in Nigeria earn from ₦250,000 and above
Salary Of Internship Physiotherapists In Nigeria
The salary of an intern physiotherapist in Nigeria is from ₦70,000 – ₦120,000
Salary Of Physiotherapists In Government or Teaching Hospitals
The Salary of Physiotherapists working in Teaching Hospitals or Government-owned hospitals in Nigeria is between ₦150,000 – ₦800,000 depending on the level of expertise in Physiotherapy, some years working in the physiotherapy unit of the hospital, am position.
Salary Of Physiotherapists During NYSC
The salary of physiotherapists during NYSC is ₦70,000
How To Become A Physiotherapist In Nigeria
To become a Physiotherapist in Nigeria, you would first obtain a degree in physiotherapy in a Nigerian school accredited for studying medical courses, specifically physiotherapy or physical therapy.
After that, you go for an internship program, then a one-year MANDATORY NYSC program.
So how long will it take you to become a fully licensed and practicing physiotherapist in Nigeria?
Period Of Study Of Physiotherapy In Nigeria
Physiotherapy in Nigeria is a five-year academic program. However, some Nigerian Institutions like UNN, UNICAL, and UNIBEN offer provisional admission for obtaining a Doctor Of Physiotherapy Degree (DPT). This is a fair advantage over the normal Physiotherapy Degree (PT).
The Physiotherapy Internship program spans for one year before you can be categorized as one of the licensed physiotherapists in Nigeria.
Is Studying Physiotherapy Hard?
Every Academic program in Nigeria has its loops. Physiotherapy in Nigeria is no different. You are sure to encounter some hard moments in the course of your study. Consistency and Hardwork, Perseverance, and Doggedness would determine how long you would last in the Institution.
Admission Requirements For Studying Physiotherapy In Nigeria
These are the academic requirements needed to pursue a career in physiotherapy in Nigeria
- O’Level results: A minimum of five credit passes in Mathematics, English language, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
- JAMB/UTME Requirements: Jamb subject combination for studying Physiotherapy in Nigeria – Use Of English, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- Direct Entry (DE) Requirements: Three A’Level passes in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
List Of Universities That Offer Physiotherapy In Nigeria
Below is a list of the accredited Institutions for studying Physiotherapy in Nigeria.
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
- University Of Calabar (UNICAL)
- University Of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University Of Ibadan (UI)
- University Of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- University Of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- University Of Lagos, Akoka (UNILAG)
- Bowen University
- Bayero University, Kano
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State
- Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi State
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Iwo (IWO)
The Salary Of Physiotherapists In Nigerian Institutes
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN); Salary of intern physiotherapists at University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu is ₦114,000 – ₦124,000 monthly
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN); Salary of physiotherapists at University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu is ₦115,000 – ₦135,000 monthly
- Salary of physiotherapists at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital is ₦136,000 – ₦168,000 monthly
- University Of Lagos, Akoka (UNILAG); Salary of intern physiotherapists at Lagos University Teaching Hospital is ₦104,000 – ₦119,000 monthly
- University Of Benin (UNIBEN), Salary of intern physiotherapists at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital is ₦128,000 – ₦139,000 monthly
- Monthly salary of Physiotherapists at Benue State University Teaching Hospital is ₦126,000 – ₦136,00
- Alex Ekwueme Federal University, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Ebonyi State; Salary of senior physiotherapists at Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital is ₦287,000 – ₦310,000
- Monthly salary of Physiotherapists working under the United States Federal Government in Nigeria is ₦220,000 – ₦237,000
- Monthly salary of Intern Physiotherapists working under the Nigerian Airforce in Nigeria is ₦115,000 – ₦124,000
- Monthly salary of Physiotherapists working at Children Specialist Hospital in Nigeria is ₦67,000 – ₦72,000
- Monthly salary of Physiotherapists working under OSS HMTJ in Nigeria is ₦483,000 – ₦515,000
- Monthly salary of Physiotherapists working Body Mechanics Physiotherapy and Wellness Centre in Nigeria is ₦72,000 – ₦79,000
- Monthly salary of Senior Physiotherapists working under the Federal Road Safety Commission Nigeria is ₦283,000 – ₦314,000
Places Where Physiotherapists in Nigeria Work
Physiotherapists in Nigeria, are opportune to work or pursue career opportunities in different places in Nigeria. Below are some of the places where physiotherapists can work in Nigeria.
- Rehabilitation Centres
- House Care Programs
- Hospitals and Acute Care Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Private Clinics
- Public Health Units
- Children Development Centres
- Recreation Centres
- Sports clinics and facilities
Haven learned about the Salary Structure of Physiotherapists in Nigeria, Requirements for admission, schools offering and the different types of physiotherapists, you will agree its a lucrative profession for any with a passion for a medical course. Read Also Medical Laboratory Scientists Salary in Nigeria. and use the comment box below to share your view.