Do you want to get a driver’s license in Nigeria and you’re confused on how to go about it? Well, look no further we’ve got you covered. Right here we’ll be telling you how to maneuver through the stages of obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria and how much it costs.
Driver’s License Requirements In Nigeria
First, we’ll start with the applicant’s requirement for getting a driver’s license in Nigeria;
- You must be above the age of 18 years.
- You must have completed a certified driving training course over a period of 6 months.
- The establishment you’re registered at must be FRSC (Federal Road Safety Commission) certified to validate your driving experience.
- You are required to have a learners permit(the temporary paper that allows you to drive around with your driving instructor)
- When learning you must have the issued letter L in red, behind and in front of your car to alert other road users of your blooming driving skills.
How to Apply for a Drivers License in Nigeria
After you’ve successfully carried out the aforementioned you move on to the next steps to apply for your driver’s license
- Go to the FRSC website and fill in your driver’s license application form.
- Visit the vehicle inspection officer for a test
- Pay for the license registration on the online platform or pay at any designated bank.
- Confirm the legitimacy of your payment at the state Bureau of internal revenue office.
- Go to the FRSC officer at the Driver’s License center for biometric data (your fingerprint and other necessary requirements to put you in the database).
- You track the state of your license, if it’s ready or not through the FRSC website.
- Visit your DLC or VIO and present your application form or temporary license that was issued to get your original card, if the website has confirmed the availability of your card.
If you cannot proceed online at your comfort, you should be able to go to any FRSC office or the Bureau of Internal Revenue office to start the application process to get your driver’s license.
When all these are done, you should have a fully functional driver’s license to drive anywhere in Nigeria. Note that a standard driving license lasts for 3 – 5 years.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR THE RENEWAL OF YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA
As an old-timer with your driver’s license, whenever your license expires a couple of years after your issuance, these are the steps to take;
- Start the application process 30 days before the expiration date.
- You must already have a valid license to be eligible for renewal.
- Apply for the form online and complete your form application.
- Make and confirm your payment at the Board of Internal Revenue to validate your application.
- You have to re-visit the Vehicle Inspection Officer for a test again.
- Then you must proceed to the driver’s license center to capture your biometrics and update your data on the organization’s database.
- If the process takes too long and your license expires before the time of issuance, you will be issued a temporary paper license as a form of documentation on the road to show that you’re eligible to drive.
- After tracking the stage of your driver’s license online and it is confirmed ready, you should be able to pick up the original license.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE RE-ISSUANCE OF A DRIVER’S LICENSE IN NIGERIA
The worst thing that could happen to you is losing a very important document that you need for a work promotion, in your everyday movements, or in this case losing your driver’s license because your wallet was stolen or something else. It sounds like a nightmare, IT IS OH. Anyways, this is how to apply for a re-issuance of your same driver’s license.
Apart from the reasons listed above you are eligible for a re-issuance if your license is not legible or has been defaced in a little scuffle or as a result of something else.
- You have to obtain a police statement stating the particulars, you have lost, defaced or damaged.
- You have to go to court to swear an affidavit stating that you have lost a particular document.
- Pay for re-issuance at the Board of Internal Revenue and wait until you receive a confirmation that your document or license is ready for pick up.
Please take care of this new one so you don’t go through this hassle again.
COSTS OF OBTAINING A DRIVER’S LICENSE, RE-ISSUANCE, OR RENEWAL IN NIGERIA
In 2022 the prices of obtaining a driver’s license have increased
Driver’s license for the duration of three years – 10,000 naira
Driver’s license for a five-year duration – 15,000 naira
Motorcycles and tricycles for a three-year duration – 5,000 naira
License for a five-year duration – 8,000 naira
VIO test certificate – 1,000 naira
Eye test certification – 500 naira
Driver’s license renewal (3 years) – 6,350 naira
Driver’s license renewal (5 years) – 10,350 naira
Driver’s license re-issuance – 12,000 naira
Please note that the costs stated above exclude bank charges to be made while effecting payments.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR A DRIVER’S LICENSE, RENEWAL OR RE-ISSUANCE
Driving school certificate
Birth certificate/ affidavit
Certificate of eye test
Photocopy of old license (re-issuance)
We know it seems like a huge bother that you have to renew your license once every couple of years after getting it done. Well, you need to update the government, of your driving skills, updating your biometrics ensures that there is no form of identity theft with your license with someone who looks like you, they also need to know if you’re eligible to keep driving in case you’ve been involved in an accident that may or may not have affected your motor skills or if you’re eyesight has deteriorated since your last driving test.
Anyways the government is looking out for you to make sure you’re not a danger to yourself and others on the road much like that overprotective annoying ex that we can’t get rid of except the government takes money from you every time for the renewal or re-issuance.
Are we finally going digital? It seems like it, in recent times the FRSC is seeking to make digital driver’s licenses for convenience in their users. It requires the use of an app that is made available on all app stores. The protections around the information on your driver’s license are pretty similar to the ones used for your internet banking. If your phone gets missing your details are protected as well. When you log into your new device you can download the app and get all your information back convenient, smart, and safe.
ABBREVIATIONS USED IN THE ARTICLE AND WHAT THEY MEAN
VIO – Vehicle Inspection Officer
FRSC – Federal Road Safety Commission
DLC- Driving License Center
Read Also: How to Start A Taxi Company in Nigeria