The Canadian construction companies have achieved a great feat of success over the years. Canada’s construction industry is one of the highest contributors to the country’s booming economy. Construction is one of the sectors in Canada that pushed through the recession that the nation experienced during the Covid-19 epidemic. Several construction companies in Canada aided in the continual success of the industry.
Construction accounts for over 14% of the Canadian GDP according to Canada’s Building Trades Unions (CBTU). The construction industry works with the richest real estate tycoons in the world to employ an average of one million persons in the country. Based on estimates, the Canadian construction industry’s output is expected to exceed USD 300 billion.
Construction is very important and productive in the richest provinces in Canada to such an extent that it is among the key domestic players in the economy of Canada. Some of the largest construction companies in Canada are indicators of the ever-increasing domestic market output of the construction sector in Canada. The contributions of this industry are estimated to be about USD 291.2 billion.
We have listed the top 40 Canadian construction companies according to the revenue they pool into the nation’s economy. We also detailed the top 10 construction companies in Canada and some of their profitable assets and ventures.
List Of The Top 40 Largest Construction Companies In Canada
- PCL Construction; Company Revenue: $8.4 billion
- EllisDon Corporation; Company Revenue: $4.4 billion
- Aecon Group Incorporated; Company Revenue: $3.4 billion
- Ledcor Group of Companies; Company Revenue: $2.6 billion
- Graham Construction; Company Revenue: $2.3 billion
- Pomerleau Incorporated; Company Revenue: $2.3 billion
- Kiewit Canada Group Incorporated; Company Revenue: $1.9 billion
- Bird Construction Incorporated; Company Revenue: $1.3 billion
- EBC Incorporated; Company Revenue: $1 billion
- Flynn Group of Companies; Company Revenue: $980 million
- Stuart Olson Incorporated; Company Revenue: $929 million
- North American Construction Group; Company Revenue: $719 million
- Turner Construction Company; Company Revenue: $610 million
- Clark Builders; Company Revenue: $584 million
- Broccolini; Company Revenue: $572 million
- Axiom Builders Incorporation; Company Revenue: $550 million
- Reliance Construction Group; Company Revenue: $550 million
- Chandos Constructions; Company Revenue: $540 million
- Magil Constructions; Company Revenue: $530 million
- Taggart Group of Companies; Company Revenue: $450 million
- Maple Reinders Construction Limited; Company Revenue: $449 million
- FWS Group of Companies; Company Revenue: $345 million
- ConDrain Group; Company Revenue: $330 million
- Dawson Wallace Construction Limited; Company Revenue: $300 million
- Govan Brown & Associates Limited; Company Revenue: $275 million
- Barnard of Canada Incorporations; Company Revenue: $245 million
- Button Limited; Company Revenue: $210 million
- Leeswood Constructions; Company Revenue: $210 million
- Delnor Constructions Limited; Company Revenue: $205 million
- Keller Foundation Limited; Company Revenue: $200 million
- Avondale Construction Limited; Company Revenue: $196 million
- Wales McLelland Constructions; Company Revenue: $180 million
- Marco Group of Companies; Company Revenue: $166 million
- Acadian Construction; Company Revenue: $157 million
- M Builds Construction; Company Revenue: $152 million
- Bockstael Construction Limited; Company Revenue: $136 million
- Fortis Construction Group Incorporations; Company Revenue: $130 million
- Newway Group; Company Revenue: $125 million
- Fillmore Construction; Company Revenue: $115 million
- Priestly Demolition Incorporations; Company Revenue: $109 million
The Top 10 Construction Companies In Canada
Based on the Company revenue, these are the 10 largest Canadian construction companies;
Company Revenue: $8.4 billion
PCL Construction was established in 1906 by James Martin and Ernest Edward Poole; one of the richest families in Canada. It is located in Saskatchewan. Currently, the company has 4,000 workers with branch offices in the United States, Canada, Australia, and the Caribbean. The company is involved in many ongoing projects like the restructuring of Canada’s historic West Block building on Parliament Hill and the reformation of the nearby Senate of Canada Building.
Asides from building restoration, PCL is also involved in procurement services, designs, and construction management. PCL Construction is the largest construction company in Canada topping the list with a wide margin above the second-largest company which has a revenue of $4.4 billion.
Company Revenue: $4,411,122,000
EllisDon is a construction company based in Mississauga with over 15 branch offices in Canada alone and centers in other nations. It was formed by the brothers Don and David Ellis Smith in 1951.
Some of EllisDon’s projects include the reformation of Ontario’s Art Gallery and the building of Brampton Civic Hospital assisted by other firms in the country. EllisDon is undoubtedly one of the most progressive Canadian construction companies with revenue estimated at $4.4 billion.
AECON Group Incorporated
Company Revenue: $3,460,400,000
Aecon is a Canadian construction company that functions in various service sectors like transportation, civil, utilities, and industrial sectors. It operates in North America, South America, Asia, and even the Middle East.
Aecon Group Incorporated is esteemed because of its large employment provisions; boasting of more than 12,000 employees.
Their notable projects are the CN Tower, Montreal-Trudeau International Airport, and the Gardiner Expressway.
Ledcor Group Of Companies
Company Revenue: $2.6 billion
Ledcor Group of Companies was established by William Lede in 1947 and has an employee count of 6,000 workers. It is a construction company that operates primarily in Canada and the United States. Some of their recent notable projects include the Albian Sands Energy Incorporated expansion constructed in Fort McMurray and the 565 Great Northern Way digital media facility project in Vancouver.
Company Revenue: $2.3 billion
Graham Construction is one of the most successful construction companies in Canada that majors in the industrial and infrastructure sectors. Graham Construction has several subsidiaries, like Quinn, Graham Capital, Gracorp, and Moltz Construction Incorporated. The first big project by this Canadian construction company was the 1926 Canadian Pacific Railway stations in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
Currently, Graham Construction can boast of a variety of projects including CFB Trenton Maintenance and Operations Hangar in Toronto and the Canadian Armed Forces Military Police Academy in Angus, Ontario.
Company Revenue: $2,343,000,000
Pomerleau Incorporated bagged a position on the list of the richest construction companies in Canada with revenue that skyrocketed from $18,000 to $1.6 million between 1964 and 1969. The high-profile Canadian construction company was formed by Hervé Pomerleau in 1964. The redevelopment of the Videotron Centre in Quebec City and the construction of Lansdowne Park in Ottawa are some of the current projects by Pomerleau Incorporated.
Kiewit Canada Group Incorporated
Company Revenue: $1,983,264,000
Kiewit is a contemporary construction company in Canada founded in 1884, yet gained a large presence in the construction market of Canada for a century and counting. The company operates in the transportation, mining, and power sectors of the country.
Kiewit was recognized as Canada’s best employer in 2020 and is currently esteemed as one of the biggest construction companies in Canada.
Bird Construction Incorporated
Company Revenue: $1,376,408,000
Bird Construction is regarded as one of the largest construction companies operating in Canada and existing for over 100 years. The company was founded in Saskatchewan in 1920.
The sectors that this Canadian construction company focused on include civil construction, residential, energy, institutional, mining, and retail industries. Some of their recent prominent projects are the construction of the Avenir Centre and Whitby Rail Maintenance Facility.
Bird Construction Incorporated knows its onions in the construction industry and in the real estate world. This Canadian company boasts of an employee count estimated to be above 1,500 workers.
Company Revenue: $1 billion
EBC Incorporated is a construction company in Canada founded in 1968 by one of the richest directors in the world; and is primarily based in the civil engineering, building, mining, and construction sectors.
This Canadian construction company has raked in sustainable development into the Canadian economy with an employee count of over 2,000 employees and eight offices in all of Canada. Their current project is the restructuring of the Riviére-du-Moulin wind farm.
Flynn Group Of Companies
Company Revenue: $980,242,000
Flynn group of companies is a large and lucrative construction company in Canada with a revenue a bit below $1 billion.
The Flynn Group has existed for more than 40 years and is saddled with the responsibility of offering commercial roofing, glazing, and cladding services in all of North America.
This is one of the construction companies in Canada that have an employee count of 5,000 workers and has several offices in Canada and the United States.
Canada’s construction industry is one of the largest in the world. Most of their founders are rated among the richest persons in the world. This gives a clue to how successful the Canadian economy may be.